Initially, for the TR4 cars, the hand-operated safety brake lever was located on the footwell floor section just to the right of the gearbox housing – and as a chrome lever with no upholstery covering it. This was a continuation from the earlier TR3A models. However, for the TR4″A” models, as well as all of the following TR5/TR250 and TR6 models – the handbrake lever was repositioned and mounted to the central tunnel located directly in between the seats. In addition to the change in the position – the handbrake boot cover was physically sewn into the corresponding carpet piece with the brake lever assembly becoming mostly covered by this sewn gauntlet cover.
These handbrake covers were colour matched to the main upholstery and trim colour i.e. Trim Panels / Seats – and would complement, if not match, the carpet set colour. Originally these would have been supplied in Vinyl (Ambla).
John Skinner Ltd offers this part as standard in their Carpet Sets for the TR4A, TR5, TR250 and TR6 models – so if you are ordering one of our carpet sets, you do not require to order this part separately.
Designed using the original factory templates – and donors from Johns various TRs he has owned over the years – we offer this pre-sewn handbrake cover in Vinyl (Ambla) or Leather. Despite the relative size of this part – we still use our premium range of raw materials to make these covers – never taking any shortcuts in the consistency of our products. It is this attitude toward even the most seemly “insignificant” parts of the car – that has allowed us to gain and maintain our reputation as the benchmark premium supplier of interior trim and upholstery for Triumph TRs.
- Available in Leather or Vinyl (Ambla).
- Two options of automotive-grade leather available to choose from – “grained” or “smooth” surface finish.
- Supplied with enough excess material to easily stitch into your existing carpet cover.
- Made in England, only 50 miles away from the original production line.
- We source only the highest quality raw materials to manufacture our products – including leather from Italy and Scotland.
- John Skinners offer the widest range of colour options on the market – including all the correct original colour combinations, as well as many more custom shades.
- Worldwide material and colour samples service is available upon request, to ensure you get the look and finish your car deserves.
- Our kits are manufactured using the same methods and templates that we have used to great success for 40+ years. Rest assured, we know they fit!
- JSM has contributed to various notable Triumph restorations including TS01, and the much-publicised Triumph TR2 “Jabbeke“ MVC575 restoration project. We also worked closely with Mark Macy of Macy’s Garage (USA) on his wife’s TR4 – becoming the only Triumph TR to ever score the perfect 100-point score in the TRA Concours D’Elegance – back in 2018. Mark Macys own TR4 came in second place, at the same show – also with JSM trimmed fitted.
- Access to help and advice when it comes time to fit these kits – we have been making and fitting these same parts for a long time – we know all the tricks, and we are more than happy to assist you or your trimmer should you get stuck. As noted above, John himself has used this part on a number of his own TRs, so we are well versed in the fitment process.
NOTE – This part is already included as standard as part of our Carpet Set.