The TR4 models saw a “Surrey Top” version introduced an option as standard from the factory production line. This incorporated a fixed window frame section at the rear of the car – similar to what you see on modern-day “Targa” cars – enabling the car to be semi-convertible with an opening directly above the driver and passenger seats, whilst maintaining the fixed and wind-shielding rear screen frame section. This half-hardtop version was offered as a standard factory option for all TR4, TR4″”A””, TR5 and TR250 models; before being discontinued and replaced with an alternative full-hardtop style for some TR6 models. The Surrey Top models featured a removable hardtop panel that could be fixed in place to make the car essentially a full hardtop car. A soft material Surrey Top Canopy cover was also offered, allowing the owner to essentially use the car as an open-top car with an easy to fit, and much more transportable, cover for the surrey top opening should you get caught in a sudden downpour of rain!
The front of this Canopy Cover featured a pre-sewn pocket flap on the underside of the material – sewn across the width – containing three metal strips. This flap containing the metal strips was then used to clamp under the aluminium capping on the header rail of the windscreen to secure the hood in place on the car. An additional left to right flap was sewn in the middle of the underside of the Soft Top with studs inserted – which was used to wrap around the horizontal Hood Frame rod above the drivers head, and secure in place. On the small side gutter flaps directly above the door glass were some elasticated tabs with a metal fixing inserted which then secured to the associated fixing on the windscreen frame pillar.
The majority of Triumph TRs left the factory with PVC Hooding – this is effectively a pvc vinyl plastic material with a waterproof membrane, and featuring a grain in the surface of the material to imitate vinyl/leather. The actual material used was Everflex (known as “British Everflex”) – which was an ICI trade name for PVC Hooding (think “sticky tape” and “sellotape”!). Some special-order models may have left with Deluxe Mohair Canvas. The TR4 to TR250 models all seem to have been available in either White, possibly Off-White, or Black Everflex from the factory production line.
Here at John Skinners, we have patterns and templates for the Triumph TR Surrey Top Canopy, all designed using the factory designs and donor cars – of which John has owned a few himself – including a TR5 Surrey Top model. The kit includes the pocket flap and retaining centre straps – as well as the fixings on the elasticated side gutters. These same patterns and manufacturing processes have all been used consistently for 40 years – to good effect with our kits winning many awards the world over. However, please be under no illusions – the Weather Equipment elements (Soft Top Hood/Tonneau Covers) are tricky to fit, even for an experienced trimmer. We strongly urge you and your professional trimmer to contact us for directions on the best methods for fitting these items, as some fitment processes are irreversible. These parts are not meant to be easy to fit – that’s why when they are done correctly, the material is as tightly pulled and tort as a drum. Remember that a well-made kit still requires skill and attention to detail in order to fit it successfully, but a badly made kit will never yield good results. Don’t leave this to chance – use a John Skinner kits, and ensure you fully understand the process of fitting before you start.
We can offer these kits in the original PVC “Everflex” Hooding, or in the more premium Deluxe Mohair Canvas material, in a variety of colours to suit both the “as original” enthusiasts, or those after a more custom finish to their restoration.
You may wish to consider our Tonneau Cover to complete the external “Weather Equipment” set.
- Available in automotive-grade PVC Hooding (Everflex) or Deluxe Mohair Canvas.
- Three plastic “Vybak” windows, High-Frequency welded in place as original for these models (only for PVC versions, Mohair versions are sewn).
- Edged with the traditional “e” cross-section binding edge finish – where the material edge trim material tucks round on itself meaning no raw material backing is exposed.
- Includes pocket flap on the underside of the front edge for the three retaining metal strips used for securing.
- Includes a pre-sewn flap and pre-inserted stud fixings on the underside for attaching to the hood frame rod.
- All “Female” fixings are included. These are supplied loose, not pre-inserted – see FAQs for more information.
- Made in England, only 50 miles away from the original production line.
- We source only the highest quality raw materials to manufacture our products – demonstrated by using on the premium versions of both the PVC and Mohair Hooding ranges. In both of these materials, there are cheaper alternatives available which many other suppliers opt to use. Please see the FAQs for more information on this.
- John Skinners offer the widest range of colour options on the market – including all the correct original colour combinations, as well as many more custom shades.
- Worldwide material and colour samples service is available upon request, to ensure you get the look and finish your car deserves.
- Our kits are manufactured using the same methods and templates that we have used to great success for 40+ years. Rest assured, we know they fit!
- JSM has contributed to various notable Triumph restorations including TS01, and the much-publicised Triumph TR2 “Jabbeke“ MVC575 restoration project. We also worked closely with Mark Macy of Macy’s Garage (USA) on his wife’s TR4 – becoming the only Triumph TR to ever score the perfect 100-point score in the TRA Concours D’Elegance – back in 2018. Mark Macys own TR4 came in second place, at the same show – also with JSM trimmed fitted.
- Access to help and advice when it comes time to fit these weather equipment parts – we have been making and fitting these same parts for a long time – we know all the tricks, and we are more than happy to assist you or your trimmer should you get stuck.