All the Giovanni Michelotti designed TR models featured similar windscreen assembly units; which was also continued into the TR6 range. These cars featured moulded finisher assemblies bridging the gap between the bodywork and the glass windscreen itself, with the assistance of a rubber seal. In total, this kit is made up of four pieces – two long framework strips across the top of the windscreen, and base section, in front of the dash top crashpad area; as well as left and right a post pillar units on the outside edges of the glass windscreen. As with the surrounding dash and console on these TR4-TR6 models, this area was always supplied in Black from the factory production line.
As with other areas of the dash and console section – John Skinner Ltd have developed pre-cut material patterns to enable you to re-upholster your original units. We maintain the opinion that for certain areas of the car it is best to reuse your original parts to ensure the correct fitment to your individual model, rather than risk using poorly fitting and cheaply manufactured after-market parts.
We can supply this material kit in Leathercloth (Vynide), Vinyl (Ambla) or Leather – in either Black to suit originality or a custom colour scheme. These “Re-Trim Kits” are to be used in conjunction with your original frame and pillar assembly units to re-upholster these original parts. Unlike many other suppliers, John Skinners can also offer these material covers in Leather (either grained or smooth) – and when supplying these parts in leather, we will “skiv” these parts down for you at no extra cost. Skiving, or the thinning of leather is a process to reduce the thickness by slicing away a layer of the “flesh” underside. This finish is especially useful for areas that are to be folded or bent whilst remaining pliable and without losing any of its core strength. It is this detailed knowledge of these parts through decades of supplying kits, and our investment in machinery such as our leather skiving machine that has allowed us to improve the options available to our customers without compromising on suitability to the purpose for the cars. Just one of the reasons why John Skinner Ltd remains the industry leader when it comes to quality and workmanship of the interior trim and upholstery for the Triumph TRs.
- Available in Leather or Vinyl (Ambla).
- Two options of automotive-grade leather available to choose from – “grained” or “smooth” surface finish.
- Supplied suitably large enough to allow for ease in fitment.
- If ordered in leather, these parts are supplied pre-thinned/skived, at no extra cost.
- Made in England, only 50 miles away from the original production line.
- We source only the highest quality raw materials to manufacture our products – including leather from Italy and Scotland.
- John Skinners offer the widest range of colour options on the market – including all the correct original colour combinations, as well as many more custom shades.
- Worldwide material and colour samples service is available upon request, to ensure you get the look and finish your car deserves.
- Our kits are manufactured using the same methods and templates that we have used to great success for 40+ years. Rest assured, we know they fit!
- JSM has contributed to various notable Triumph restorations including TS01, and the much-publicised Triumph TR2 “Jabbeke“ MVC575 restoration project. We also worked closely with Mark Macy of Macy’s Garage (USA) on his wife’s TR4 – becoming the only Triumph TR to ever score the perfect 100-point score in the TRA Concours D’Elegance – back in 2018. Mark Macys own TR4 came in second place, at the same show – also with JSM trimmed fitted.
- Access to help and advice when it comes time to fit these re-trim kits – we have been making and fitting these same parts for a long time – we know all the tricks, and we are more than happy to assist you or your trimmer should you get stuck. As noted above, John himself has used this part on a number of his own TRs, so we are well versed in the fitment process.